nafex - [NAFEX] honeylocust

  • From: "R. Keith Etheridge" <goatdoc@ctitech.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] honeylocust
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:14:01 -0500

Thorny honeylocust has been a geat problem with tractor tires for me but maybe 5% of my trees are thornless.Some have thorns on thr trunk and the branches thornless
as a function of maturity but some apparently never have thorns.Andy Wilson of the NAFEX honeylocust group has some thornless selections.In my opinion for honeylocust to be a practical feed for livestock you must have livestock which collect the pods as they drop and can digest the seeds.According to reports, sheep and goats can digest the seeds.No pods remain uneaten in my goat pen.If the pods are collected and processed,it is an expense that lowers the value of the pods as feed.
Most of the male trees need to grafted to thornless female cultivars so they will provide pods ,leaving some males for pollination.