nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gardens to visit

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gardens to visit
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:05:36 -0400

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:41:00 -0400, you wrote:

>I will be driving to Pennsylvania and Ohio this week looking at
>colleges with my daughter. I'd also like to get some photos of some
>fruit plants that are being used for "edible landscaping," that is,
>not planted in an orchard or production garden setting, but being
>used as specimen trees, ornamental hedges, groundcovers, foundation
>plantings, etc. Does anybody out there have any suggestions for
>gardens that I could visit that would fill this bill? Thanks for your
>help.

I wonder if Longwood has any fruit plants used in this way?
They have a 'demonstration house and garden', with a food
garden, so it is possible.

You could email them and ask. They are down in southeastern
Pennsylvania.

http://www.longwoodgardens.com

You have probably been there, but if not: it is not be
missed by anyone interested in gardening, perhaps the
world's preeminent public gardens.

Another possibility would be the Rodale Institute, in
Emmaus.

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/

Penn State University in State College has a medieval
garden, and may have espaliered or pleached fruit trees.

http://www.psu.edu/dept/medieval/garden.html

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.