nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Viburnum prunifolium

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Viburnum prunifolium
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 12:00:35 -0700

If you want to develop some recipes for black haw, since they have a somewhat figgy taste, you could start with recipes using chopped figs.  If in making, say, fig cookies, you find that the black haw mixture looks drier than a fig mixture would have, you could moisten with applesauce.

I could see using them in muffins or pancakes, but I have the impression they would lack the brightness of blueberries or raisins.  Not a problem – balance that by adding a bright flawor, like lemon and/lor orange rind – those are commonly added to figs for the same reason.

I think you could come up with some very good recipes.  I’d try here, but have no access to the fruit.

Stephen