nafex - [NAFEX] When 2 Pik Apple

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When 2 Pik Apple
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:22:31 -0500

It's taken me 25 plus years to finally grow an apple. The first 21 years were spent on the Gulf Coast of Texas where decent apples don't grow due to the heat. After I moved to the Midwest in 1998, I immediately planted dwarf apple trees and said goodbye to them within a year when we sold two homes in IL and WI in order to make moves elsewhere furthering my husband's career. I've been on a glacier moraine on the Wisconsin-Illinois border since Aug. 2003 and finally have an apple tree with fruit, thanks to Ed Fackler's recommendation to include Pixie Crunch in my mini-orchard.

All this brings me to my question. How do you tell when to pick an apple? I don't have a clue.

BTW, the apples that set on the Pixie Crunch were thinned to three, due to the young age of the tree. Squirrels got one when it was dime-sized, and before I decided to bag the two remaining ones, plum curlico got another. I have ONE perfect bagged apple. We plan to have an apple tasting event--hard cider, gourmet dinner and thin slices of the esteemed apple, along with music, pomp and circumstance for at least eight guest. This is a huge event in my gardening life, and I plan to celebrate! Now I need to know when to schedule this party.
Doreen Howard