nafex - [NAFEX] Cherry and Pear share orchard??

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherry and Pear share orchard??
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:03:39 -0400

Hi Clan;

Richard Murphy here (again).

I have another 80 tree lot planting planned for 2006.
Before I proceed, I will ask all y'all for comment.
Here's the question: Do pear trees / tart cherry trees cohabitate well in the same orchard lot?
Aside from their typical problems on either tree, are there any bizarre 'cherry-pear together' disasters that you know of?
Can it be done? Unusual risks?
The orchard will be non-organic for now, but low-spray.

I am going up to the orchard Thursday, be back Tuesday.
Thank you for your attention and any comments you would like to share.

Richard    zone 4 Maine
PS
I also have some trials going on up there: (all first year)
Blueberry "Patriot"
Blueberry "BlueCrop"
Raspberry "Caroline"
Raspberry "Autumn Britten"
Blackberry "Illini Hardy"
Plum "Stanley"
Plum "Mount Royal"
Green Manure Crop "Japanese Millet"

RM

  • [NAFEX] Cherry and Pear share orchard??, Richard MURPHY, 08/03/2005