nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mason Bee Houses

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mason Bee Houses
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:12:41 -0700

I got some blue orchard bees some years ago and they did splendidly for a while. Then I found that they were being parasitized through the paper tubes by a tiny wasp. So I tried using wooden blocks, which did help a lot. Finally tried some plastic lumber and drilled 5/16 inch holes in a block cut from a plastic 4x4. That one has stayed out behind a building and keeps having bees year after year after year. Now I find the bees in any crevice, cranny, etc. all over the place. Given the actual number of bees around, I have to assume they have reached some sort of equilibrium with the parasitic wasps. Even so, they pollinate the fruit about as well as anything could. In good years, trees can be loaded to breaking.
-Lon Rombough