nafex - [NAFEX] Mason Bee Houses

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mason Bee Houses
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:07:43 -0400

Hello again Clan;

An observation to share...

Learned about Mason Bees 2 years ago; never gave them much thought.
Bought 3 'bee houses' from Fedco, for $8 each, April 17, 2005, for a trial.
(They use the design published be the Univ. of Maine extension, free.)
Put one house up on 3 of the 4 sides of the orchard fence with a 1' x 2' wind blocking board so they can land.
Turned over 4 shovels of dirt below the house so the bees would have building material.
May, no residents yet. June, still none.
July....WOW ! all 3 houses have some holes filled in with bee eggs!
This is very cool.
There is a ton of clover around so they don't wander off.
I will now make 20 of these blocks myself, as they are simple to make.
I thought this was bee baloney, but they actually did move in.

Murph    zone 4 Maine

PS.. they do better mason work than I'll ever do...really smooth.