nafex - [NAFEX] Surround Observations

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround Observations
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:30:06 -0600

Hello all,

I've been doing a small study about the effectiveness of surround on cherry fruit fly. Supposedly surround controls Apple Maggot, which is similar to cherry fruit fly. I haven't harvested the cherries yet, so I don't know the results, but I do have some interesting visual (not validated) observations so far. I think I have applied surround twice this year; it has been difficult to keep a good coat on it due to the intermittent showers we have had.

The fruit size of the surround row is smaller than the fruit on the other rows. Also, they appear to be completely ripe (18% brix) while the other rows still have 1 week left to go (13% brix).

It is almost like applying surround hastened the ripening process, but didn't allow the fruit to size up properly. Supposedly surround will cause the stomatas to remain open on very hot days (>80F), increasing photosynthesis when normally the leaves would shut down. We haven't had that many burners this year, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it at all.

I also sprayed some apricot fruit, which is starting to color up now, but it too hasn't sized up very well, about a ping pong ball size. Granted, I haven't fruited this particular cultivar before (Debbie's Gold) so I am unsure as to how big it does get.

I sprayed surround on some of my apples, and they seem to be sizing up steadily.

Has anyone else noted anything about using surround on stone fruit?

Thanks!

Dean Kreutzer
Over the Hill Orchards
www.overthehillorchards.ca