nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmon succulent growth.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmon succulent growth.
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:18:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/24/2005 6:03:48 PM US Eastern Standard Time, goatdoc@ctitech.com writes:

I have had good success bark grafting persimmons,but not 100%.I had several
blow out till now I started supporting with posts and cutting the tips of
each branch.
.

I'd like to see some discussion of what I'm about to write by more knowledgeable than I.

An enzyme is generated at the growing tips of trees that promotes root developement. This is the reason for the new advise to limit prunning of nursery stock being planted. Would not cutting the growing tips likewise reduce root developement of the understock?

Jerry