nafex - [NAFEX] Surround

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:38:27 -0400

Hello,

I have a question for those with gravel laneways next to your orchards.

My inlaws have a 1/2 mile laneway into the farm buildings. It is a gravel road. Every time a vehicle passes on the laneway a cloud of dust is throuwn into the air. With prevailing winds, it always dusts the same side of the road.

I have often thought that is how Kayolin clay was found to supress insects. A simple clay road, upwind of an orchard.

My question is... If you had an orchard upwind of a dirt road, that had a component of Kayolin clay, and the orchard got dusted everytime a vehicle passed, would you achieve a degree of "passive" insect protection?

Does the dust of any dirt road offer a dust barrier to insects?

Just an idea poking around inside my head....

Later,
Tom