nafex - [NAFEX] Goumi-Email from Japan

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Goumi-Email from Japan
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:56:18 -0400

Hi, Doc I was writing another email to you. but I'll first answer about goumi. :)

That's called "gumi" in Japan.[There is no "guh" sound in Japanese, so it sounds like "goomi". Note from Doc]
I looked up that word in dictionary. "goumi" and "silverberry" is English name,right? but the name "goumi" might be from French.
I have eaten it before only once. but it was sour and a little astringent. I should have tried fully ripe one. and I have one goumi tree in my yard. This is the picture which I took in my yard. That tree doesn't bear any fruits now.[ I'll be glad to send you the picture if you request it by sending me your email address. Doc]
Now is not that season.
I've never eaten that tree's fruits. The birds always eat it all before I try it.

I think your goumi is different cultivar from mine.
There are several kinds of goumi in Japan.
The season when we can harvest those fruits is different.
I suppose your goumi could be Natsu gumi(Japanese name,scientific name is Elaeagnus multiflora ) . Natsu means summer.

You can also make jam and fruit wine with Goumi like other fruits. When you make jam, pass the fruit through a sieve and remove the seeds.

If you need more info, tell me. and I'm going to email to you soon.

Your friend, Mana.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Goumi-Email from Japan, Doc Lisenby, 06/25/2005