nafex - [NAFEX] Datura

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Datura
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:09:55 -0500

I don't know about detering insects, but it sure won't work on goats. I
have also watched goats eating pokeweed plants. Makes the milk taste bad.
Datura makes me wonder if many many common toxic plants could be used for
deterrents. Pokeweed is one, others might include Sweet Annie and Mexican
wormseed. Or even ragweed! I wonder if any of these have been tested to
see if they reduce attacks by some of the more noxious bugs, not just
curculio, but in the garden, flea beetles, squash bugs, aphids. You all got
into a big discussion of the horrors of stink bugs a couple years back. I
never realized how much damage they do because it doesn't really show up
till later. I thought the black places on my okra stems were a fungus!
Donna