nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nurse limbs.

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nurse limbs.
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 09:06:34 -0500

At 08:35 AM 5/30/2005, Jerry wrote:
Hello all,
My experiences grafting persimmon differ from Lon's. I've been doing both, with and w/o nurse limbs for many years. My conclusion is nurse limbs can defer nutrition from the graft to the nurse limb. Last year I grafted about 8 trees 4 to 6 inches in diameter and about half with nurse limbs. There was on the average considerably less growth on the trees with nurse limbs.

My experience has been similar  with persimmons, I have difficulty getting a graft to take if there are any limbs below the graft - they just start pushing aggressive growth, and the graft struggles - if it takes at all.
Now, pecans & hickories do OK for me with nurse limbs, but I break them over about halfway out from the trunk, and keep the terminal buds pinched out of any new, vigorous growth that sprouts out on them, in order to keep anything resembling a terminal bud from reaching a height greater than the base of the graft.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY