nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear seed germination

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear seed germination
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:44:42 -0700

I've germinated a lot of pome fruit seed of many species and one thing I've noted is that over 90% of the time, when radicals began to show on any of the seeds, the rest are ready to sprout as well, and generally could be planted without having to stay in stratification.
I also had very good luck stratifying the seed in peat moss as it has natural anti-fungal properties that prevented spoilage. Seeds that DID spoil were almost always inviable.
-Lon Rombough