nafex - [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch Pollinator Update

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch Pollinator Update
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:02:28 -0500

I bought a Pixie Crunch apple last spring at the suggestion of our Ed Fackler who sold this Purdue introduction at his Rocky Meadow Nursery before it was bought out by the big guys. I asked last fall on this list if anyone knew which apples would pollinate Pixie Crunch. There was no answer except from Ed who said he didn't know, either.

I have two apples set!!! So the pollinator for Pixie Crunch, Ed, has to be either Jonathan (the neighbor's apple tree) or the ornamental crabs in my yard.

Even though the tree has only been in the ground a year, I'm going to let these two apples develop. The tree came with branches nearly parallel to the ground and has grown vigorously into a strong scaffold. I'm hoping the apples tastes as good as this disease-free tree has performed.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border
Zone 4a/5b
(No tornadoes here, Tanis, but we had 2-inch hail.)