nafex - [NAFEX] espalier apples

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] espalier apples
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 06:48:30 -0400

I have some baby apples trees I planted this spring, and I'd like to espalier them. Any advice, suggestions, etc?

I have three cultivars on three rootstocks, and I may graft one or two over to something else next year. (I couldn't buy exactly what I wanted, but I was able to get all the parts.) I was thinking it might be fun to get fancy and have different cultivars on different limbs, instead of grafting the whole thing. Has anyone tried anything like this? Or is it more trouble than its worth?

Thanks,
Ginda