nafex - [NAFEX] excitement!

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] excitement!
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:20:08 -0400

After years of waiting, I have one cluster of flower buds on my Jonathan tree! Also, the multi-graft tree appears to have a single apple bud (the only one unkilled in the cluster) on the Tydeman's graft. There is hope.

Next year, I will have to try some surround at silver tip. Who knows, maybe that will keep the bugs from chewing up whatever buds there are. If that doesn't work, maybe I need a fungicide, too. I hadn't been spraying since they hadn't gotten old enough to bear, and the leaves (once they open) look pretty clean. But I see I was complaining of tiny caterpillars last year, and they are back this year.

I have a bad feeling that the moth that lays the eggs won't care about a little Surround, but maybe it will help.

Ginda

p.s. On a brighter note, my little apricot was covered with blossoms for about 3 days. I went out with a cur-tip, and I did see some bumblebees around then, so there's a definite chance of fruit. I guess it's just easier to grow obscure stuff than it is to grow stuff that lives wild, and has a built-up supply of pests. At least, until your obscure plant has been there long enough to attract it's own ecology of pests. :)

  • [NAFEX] excitement!, list, 04/28/2005