nafex - Re: [NAFEX] "Roundup" effects

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: <breen@fedcoseeds.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "Roundup" effects
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 06:26:19 -0500

Heron,

The decline in anphibians may have multiple causes. Although the decline
does not include every species, it is worldwide. When I was a kid growing
up near the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve in Costa Rica, the Golden Toad
(Bufo periglenes, or something like that) bred by the zillions in cloud
forest pools. I kept them in a terrarium. Although the entire habitat
was/is stringently protected, the toad has not been seen for around 15
years. It seems odd to have played with a now extinct species--sort of like
juggling passenger pigeons I suppose.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI