nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Malus fusca

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Malus fusca
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:50:25 -0700

Depends a lot on where the seed source came from, as well as if it was pure. I have seen natural hybrids of fusca with domestic apples, so who's to say the FB susceptibility wasn't introduced.
In any case, variation in many wild species is so common that differences in FB resistance in the wild Malus fusca species wouldn't surprise me. It just points up the value in screening a collection of material from difference sources/locales to find the best, if it is to be used as a rootstock. It's a very widespread species, going quite far north, clear up to Alaska, so there is bound to be lots of variation worth testing.
-Lon Rombough