nafex - [NAFEX] Iowa Pawpaw and Persimmon recommendations?

  • From: "Mark River" <mark@markriver.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Iowa Pawpaw and Persimmon recommendations?
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:38:42 -0700

Hello, I'm a new fruit grower and am curious to plant a few Pawpaws and American Persimmons.  I live in West-Central Iowa (the northern tip of zone 5), near the city of Atlantic.  I have a decent microclimate with good air drainage and a sheltered spot on the south side of my barn.

Any specific cultivars that would be recommended for this area?  Grafted vs. non-grafted seedlings?  Do I need 2 cultivars for pollination for pawpaws and/or persimmons?

Thanks,
Mark