nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pot size

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pot size
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:43:27 -0400

Hello,

I like to mix topsoil, sand and peat moss. You could add perlite for better drainage.

If I had to estimate;

6-8 shovels topsoil
4 shovels dry peat moss
2 shovels clean, course sand
1 shovel perlite (optional)

You can buy very large, used pots from your local garden center. I got 10 gallon, used pots for $1 each. The garden center sells the large tree, delivers it, plants it, and they are left with the pot the tree came in.

The local Co-op sells empty 55 gallon plastic barrels that can be cut in half, making two planters for $5 (previously filled with lemonade concentrate) in my area.

Many farms are stuck with drums with no way to dispose of them. Dairy farms often buy teat dip in 55 gallon, plastic drums. Just be aware what was in the drums before you use them.

Make sure to add proper drainage holes.

Later,
Tom