nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Old Sprayer?

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Old Sprayer?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:08:41 -0500

this is a unit that your FIL has used in the past? - - if that's the case,
I'll pass on the maintenance issues of oil in the pump and such, as those
are things with which he should be familiar - - tank may leak a little,
fill it up with water and it should tighten up as the wood swells - I
wouldn't worry about cleaning it out, no doubt has had many nasty's in it
over the years, just leave 'em rest - stay out of the power take-off, it
will grab you and kill you -
make sure the hose is in servicable condition, I expect the sprayer has a 2
or 3 cylinder piston pump that developes 175-250 pounds of pressure,
blow-outs are unpleasant -
mix the chemical at the 'dilute' rate - pounds or ounces per hundred gallons
(do you know how big the tank is?) adding the material to the tank with the
appropriate amount of water agitating in it - give it time to thoroughly
mix - and then spray enough solution to thoroughly wet the target - adjust
the pattern of the gun to conditions - sharp stream to reach distance,
difuse spray for stuff right in front of you - does the gun have a
rigger? -
it's always easier to spray 'down', one reason for riding on top the
machine - your arms/neck will get tired working off the ground - I prefer to
hand gun with a 2-3-4-5mph breeze, it allows me to stay up wind of the
spray - - if you have enough hose, you can park the sprayer and drag the
hose down the row - no need to stay close to the machine - Dad used to have
a 'stationary spray station' and had pipe with risers/valves thu the
orchard - walk out with your gun and hose, hook to a riser and drag the
hose around - -
old fashioned way to do it, you'll gain respect for the people who used to
spend all day at it...