nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Saskatoons & Evans

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Saskatoons & Evans
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:39:48 -0600

I planted a tissue-cultured Evans in my neighbor's yard about five years
ago. It has proved to be very vigorous and taller than many report
Evans growing, perhaps because it is located right next to my compost
pile and is steadily being fertilized. I've not measured the height,
but I'd guess it's now 15 feet tall. Perhaps it will not get much
higher if it crops heavily. I'd hoped that the tree would be only about
as tall as Northstar.

After blooming profusely last spring, the Evans tree bore enough fruit
for a couple of pies. Unfortunately, I picked the fruit before it could
become dead ripe, what others consider its sweetest stage; otherwise,
I'm afraid the birds would have "picked" the whole crop. At that early
stage of ripeness, it was just another sour or pie cherry. (This year
we're covering the tree with netting.)

One weakness of Evans became apparent in 2003, when its foliage was
badly infested with mildew during some very hot and humid weather. I
don't believe that Northstar has that same susceptibility. -- Sam
Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA hardiness zone 4b)