nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Red Delicious

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Red Delicious
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:28:24 -0500

I agree with Lucky, that a lot of RD apples I have bought in chain grocery stores are less than appealing to my taste. Since medical school, I have been eating any apple I could obtain every day, not necessarily for the taste or texture, but for nutritional reasons. I consider them part of my normal grocery staples.
Recently, I obtained about one ten pound bag biweekly of Washington Extra Fancy Premium Red Delicious Apples from Sam's Club. The bag is labeled that they are a minimum of 3" in diameter and they are distributed by Domex, Yakima, WA 98908. It also states that they are coated with a vegetable shellac/wax to preserve freshness. These apples are crisp and sweet tasting. The only complaint I have about them is that they are too large to eat for me to eat at one meal. There are no labels on individual apples which describe whether they genetically modified, etc. I suppose that such labeling isn't required for apples which aren't sold to the general public. I have noticed that before I finish eating all the apples of an individual bag that they begin to turn mealy and develop dry spots but they are edible.
Sam mentioned the "knobs" found on the blossom ends of RD,s. I have heard them referred to as "sugar lumps" or something like that. Probably so named by an enterprising marketeer.
Doc