nafex - [NAFEX] When to graft (Age, not season)

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When to graft (Age, not season)
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:43:42 -0500

I asked this a while ago, but now we are entering grafting season, so I'll ask again.

I ordered a couple of new apple trees this year. I couldn't get exactly what I wanted, but I got the rootstocks I wanted, and two of the tops are things I was looking for. Between those two, and some prior grafting, I will own both the rootstocks and scions I want. I plan to graft to put them together.

When would you recommend I do this? Right away? Later in the season? After the roots have established themselves for a year or so? And would you recommend spring grafting of twigs or summer grafting of buds? (I figure with everything on the property, I can bud graft if I want to. I don't need to depend on getting dormant scions from someone else.)

Thanks for any advice.
Ginda
eastern massachusetts, zone 6

p.s. I'm pretty good with knives. My prior grafting experience has all been dormant twigs, not buds, but my success rate has been pretty high. I figure I can graft buds, too.