nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need info on several plum cultivars

  • From: charles paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need info on several plum cultivars
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:48:03 -0500

Sam,
I grew Gracious.  It was one of the few plum cultivars bread in the midwest that bear fruit in the east. [The only two that bear regularly here are Gracious and Kahinta].  Every single Gracious fruit it bore was eviscerated by insects.  I cut Gracious down fifteen years ago.

Do you spray?  If you don't the only cultivar I recommend is Kahinta, If you do spray, then I'd probably grow european plums and leave away from American hybrid plums until somebody figures them out, or more likely, breeds better ones based on better source material than was used in Minnesota and South Dakota.  Of course you're more midwestern than I am and things are different in your area.
Charlie Paradise caught in a thicket of plums in zone 5 Massachusetts

Japanese or Japanese hybrids:
        Gracious
        Purple Heart

Also, it would be useful if you would say where you garden.  Thanks. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)