nafex - Re: [NAFEX] favorite nurseries - Miller

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] favorite nurseries - Miller
  • Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:11:50 -0500

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:56:42 EST, you wrote:

>My experience with them exactly, and why I stopped buying from them.
>
>Example I purchased a red California type grape from them that they claimed
>to be winter hardy for this area, it wasn't. Froze out two years in a row.
>When I wrote them, they never replied. Their nursery must set in a micro
>climate
>zone 7 belt.

>Have ordered from them more than once and will never again. Don't remember
>the other problems, been maybe 7 years.

Our experience has been good. They replaced things that
died promptly and without any fuss. Maybe they have
improved.

The things that died probably weren't even their fault: in
one case, the UPS man left the package on our neighbor's
driveway although we were home at the time. The package sat
there and baked all day - it was 95 that particular day,
although only May. The plants were all dead.

In the other case, I don't think we planted them right - we
were both really tired by then, and didn't dig a large
enough hole, and didn't use enough soil amendment (all the
other things we planted that day are fine). Our natural
'soil' is 100% heavy, heavy clay and things tend to drown in
it: it holds water forever then eventually dries to the
consistency of concrete.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.