nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Dormant Pruning of apples

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Dormant Pruning of apples
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:06:43 -0500

...Should I be alarmed?...

nothing to do, so worry about something on which you can act....
...there are different kinds of cold damage - - most 'winter injury'
involves moisture in tissue, pruning cuts compromise the tree's plumbing,
affecting its ability to move water into and out of tissue - - the bigger
the cuts, the more likely the injury, IMO dwarf trees tend to be more
tender because
1. common dwarfing rootstocks come from less extreme climates than we have
in the US
2. they are less robust by their nature
3. a modest pruning (which is unlikely to cause trouble except in extreme
circumstances) involves a bigger percentage of the canopy of a dwarf tree
as compared to a modest pruning of a larger tree, therefore having a larger
effect on the system

hey, likely everything will be fine - -