nafex - [NAFEX] Dormant Pruning of apples

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dormant Pruning of apples
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 16:27:29 -0500

I am curious as to the mechanism by which cold damages recently pruned fruit trees, in my case apples. Is there a growth response to the pruning cut which forms susceptible tissue? Does this growth response happen even if temperatures remain cold or is it a warming cooling cycle which causes the damage? I have read that less vigorous rootstocks are more vulnerable- why is this?
I foolishly went ahead and pruned my dwarf apples in late February, and now the temperatures are plunging below 0 F at night. Should I be alarmed? There is nothing I can do but wonder, which has led me to this question.