nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Turkish Figs

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Turkish Figs
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:57:43 -0800

John, I'm eating fresh, delicious Brown Turkey figs right now here in
Edmonton! Mind you, the plant is in pot in a south facing window :). I'd
suggest you bring it inside, and let it start to do its thing and come out
of its winter "hibernation" in a sunny spot. Then in 10 weeks, acclimatize
it to those nice southern Ontario summers I remember when I lived there for
7 years right after university.

As an aside, I've tried mulching planted figs outside here against the
house, kept under tons of leaves and snow. I hoped they might sprout from
the roots in the spring. No such luck. For some strange reason Alberta
just isn't fig country I guess...Perhaps its something about not
liking -40C, even under heavy mulch and snow? Good luck on it.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta