nafex - [NAFEX] cider apples

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cider apples
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:24:07 -0500

I'm interested in hard cider apples for zone 5 - - the english/european varieties with which I have experience are unhappy here - generally ripening unevenly and early (August/early September) - I would like a 'sharp' flavored variety or two ripening in October - any suggestions?
I almost hate to relate this....but in the 60's when our side of the family purchased/resurrected the original orchard, there were two trees in the fencerow at the back of the farm - one was partly russeted over reddish/gold background,  quite 'sharp/bitter/sour' unfit to eat fresh - the other striped and sour - - they were removed in the renovation,  unfortunately - - before I was 'awake/aware' of things like hard cider...in retrospect I'm sure that's why they were there...bah...
anyway,  one other variety I'd like to get a stick of is striped (original) Rome Beauty - - used to have lots (way too many),  but the striped strain got eradicated during the various renovations - I'd like to get it back for the collection...
thanks,  David Doud

  • [NAFEX] cider apples, David Doud, 02/18/2005