nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Unusual fruits, Cornus, Elaeagnus

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Unusual fruits, Cornus, Elaeagnus
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:19:15 -0800

Cornus kousa grows to be a big tree in Japan, though the one I've had for about 35 years is not enormous. I have it under the wires coming in to the house, and do a modest amount of pruning each year so it doesn't touch the wires. Its branches go outwards, so I would not consider it for a restricted area.

It does not get anthracnose, though both Eastern and Western natives nearby did succumb, and not from being touched by anything mechanical or metal.

It flowers a month later than C. nuttallii. The fruits are very noticeable and have an interesting taste.

Elaeagnus umbellata is causing problems in some areas of the U.S. Elaeagnus umbellata has the potential of becoming one of the most troublesome adventive shrubs in the central and eastern United States (Sternberg 1982). It exhibits prolific fruiting, rapid growth, is widely disseminated by birds, and can easily adapt to many sites. It is vigorous and competitive against native species, and resprouts after cutting

--
Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8