nafex - [NAFEX] IL Mulberry Question

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] IL Mulberry Question
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:35:24 +0000 (UTC)

Mark,

Mohlenbrock's Guide to the Vascular Flora of Illinois lists "Morus rubra" as being the lone native mulberry in Illinois. It is short, <8', with deep-lobed and pointy leaves, small fruit, growing in shady woods or forest edge.

M. alba and M. nigra are imports. Illinois Everbearing thrives in Illinois soils, provided drainage and sun. Drainage might be your issue. In Illinois we risk drowning our fruit trees if we don't plan drainage ahead of time.

Rob
Urbana, IL
zone 5b/6a