nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Bee info

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Bee info
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:46:01 -0500

I almost never see honey bees anymore. When I was a kid, there used to be thousands of them working the dandelions and apples. But the mites have really done in the wild populations. Last year I may have seen one.

Nonetheless, I get good pollination - mostly bumblebees, but also an assortment of tiny flies. A bad winter for honey bees may translate into higher prices for produce, as giant sterilized farms need to import pollinizers during bloom. I doubt it will affect the zucchinis in your back yard.

Ginda