nafex - RE: [NAFEX] apple questions

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] apple questions
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:57:27 -0800

Yes, Gravenstein will grow in Southern Indiana.  Spitzenburg will pollinate.  Bramley makes a wonderful applesauce or pie, but I wouldn’t use it alone for cider.  I’d combine it with a sweet apple and a ‘bitter’, or cider apple, such as Foxwhelp (bittersweet), Yarlington (bittersweet), or Dolgo crab (bittersharp).  Raintree carries all the varieties mentioned.

Gravenstein is a great cider apple, and you could make a wonderful sweet cider with Spitzenburg and Gravenstein, at maybe 4 parts S. to 1 part G, according to your taste.  For a hard cider, you want to add the bitter types, and decreases the sweet apples; although, I have enjoyed my hard ciders made from sweet apples just fine.  In fact, I prefer them; but people serious about quality hard ciders use a blend of 3 parts sweet, 2 parts sharp, and 2 parts bitter.  A little sharp or bitter apple will improve your sweet cider.