nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Pruning?

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Pruning?
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:35:29 -0800 (PST)

Considering I haven't seen the tree, I say "wait &
see". Last year was like a summer-pruning. If the
tree is REALLY sick, it might be on its way out, or it
might recover from death's door better w/o new pruning
wounds.

If you are sure it is going to live, I'd prune ONLY
those branches which cannot wait. I'd worry more
about training, ie-- branch angles. I also try to
prune sick trees last, or sterilize tools before
pruning any healthy trees.