nafex - [NAFEX] your bench grafting advice, please

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] your bench grafting advice, please
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:15:53 -0800 (PST)

I'm organizing my notes to teach a small class on
grafting. I plan to teach my nursery-row timing
(nafex archives March 04 "grafting basics"), but the
day's lab-practical will be dormant-season bench
grafting. I've got far less practice on this.

Can you offer your hints & tips for good success with
bench grafting? Little tricks you tried for improving
success, what worked, what didn't. Do new grafts need
a high-humidity storage environment for callussing?
What is the ideal temperature for callus formation, so
that drying of scions might not be the major concern?
If grafts are coated in wax and then bundled for
storage, do they stick together in a clump? Etc.

If you prefer, reply off-list. I plan to compile all
suggestions, to present at the class, so I could also
present the compilation on this list. Just let me
know whether you prefer your ID mentioned or withheld.

Thanks!

Tanis Cuff, s.WI

If it matters, it's a class thru local Extension.