nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: Blueberries reverse certain....

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: Blueberries reverse certain....
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 13:53:33 -0800

Doc,

Even 25 years ago, when I wrote my dissertation in nutrition, we were very
aware that foods contained "intrinsic factors" - unidentified compounds with
healthful effects - and whole foods were more nutritious and bioactive than
fractions of those foods. The quest has been to find what specific
compounds have what medical effects, because those particular compounds can
become standardized medicines. However, if one does want to be healthy, the
direction of your cardiologist partner's advice is good. The diet rich in
veggies, fruits and whole foods, which has been advocated by health food
'nuts' for 150 years or more, is shown again and again to be necessary for
well being.

Yes, nutritional science is in its infancy. How the biochemical factory
that is the body uses so many raw ingredients to create and sustain itself,
its mind, and soul, remains intriguing.

~ Stephen Sadler