nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red Fleshed pear

  • From: Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@wport.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red Fleshed pear
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:06:12 -0800

 There was only one other response on this request.  I haven't personally fruited the Summer Blood Birne yet but the person I got the scionwood from has and here is her response about how she evaluated it.  She is a member of our local chapter of the Western Cascade Fruit Society and grows quite a number of fruit.

"I have not enjoyed the red pear that I have, the Summer Blood Birne.  I am not a pear lover to begin with, but do have my favorites, this is not one.  I remember it to be a bit gritty and the flavor is one that I would pass up, given a choice.  The keeping quality is somewhat like the old Transparent apple, unless I am not haravesting properly time wise.

I would be happy with it as a novelty just for adding to fruit salads, but the color is not attractive, having a brown tinge.  If this tree had to be replaced, this variety is not one that I would regraft If someone wanted to try a red flesh pear, I would suggest trying another variety first.  It will be interesting to see if this variety will grow differently in your soil."

Anyway I'll see how it turns out at my place in a couple of years.

Bob Hartman
Western Washington

Ed Fackler wrote:

 Does anyone have any personal experience with any of the few red fleshed pears?If so, elaborate regarding flavor and size of fruit please.Thanks.Ed, S. Ohio..............cold burr......

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list  nafex@lists.ibiblio.org **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!** All other messages are discarded. No exceptions.   ---- To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! Message archives are here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/