nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 24, Issue 43

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 24, Issue 43
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:16:55 -0500

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:39:05 -0500, you wrote:

>Looking at the EU, they are certainly not perfect, but in fairness, they
>have more or less not permitted the wholesale introduction of GM foods
>without safety testing, unlike the U.S. So if our companies are shut
>out, and the EU is passing restrictive legislation, it is because of
>this incredible power struggle going on (led by Monsanto et. al) for
>control of world food - right down to making sure the US got the law
>passed in Iraq that prevents the farmers from legally saving their own
>seed.

It's not that our companies are shut from the European
market: in this case, at least, I don't think they are. I
can sell seeds to people in Europe, for instance.

And I agree with you that the EU has done better than we
have in lots of regards. But so drastically restricting
seed-selling isn't one of them, IMHO. It's a bad idea no
matter who does it: EU or USA.

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.