nafex - [NAFEX] So, if the berries are ripe, is it June?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] So, if the berries are ripe, is it June?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:38:24 -0800

It's interesting to read that, of course, Juneberries ripen in June... we
have them growing wild around our cabin in the high Sierra (Sunset zone 1,
AHA heat zone 1, USDA 4?). They bloom in August and ripen in October. The
non-winter seasons are considerably compressed up there. After winter,
there's thaw, then summer, with cold nights and warm days, then in
September, give or take a month, Spring bloom and Fall bearing happen almost
simultaneously. Gardening is pretty much a non-proposition, although one
could try some weather-hardy potted plants in the summer. In late season we
do have those Serviceberries; sweet, rich thimbleberries; and the very
currant-like mountain gooseberry, all growing wild and robust, from mere
inches of soil. I try to leave much for the wild birds and beasts, but I
will sometimes use them for berry pancakes or a wee tart or two.

Cheers,

~ Stephen

_____