nafex - Re: [NAFEX] sweet cherry pits

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] sweet cherry pits
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:58:02 -0800

I offered to send Bernie sweet cherry pits next summer.

I just thought of something, though. My garden is on the site of a cherry orchard, subdivided about 1968. There were lots of Bing (I think - crunchy big black ones subject to splitting, anyway) plus Queen Anne's for pollinators. I have lots of seedling trees. I usually just leave their cherries for the birds, squirrels and raccoons. Their cherries are sweet but small. They are red. No big black ones. Of course, I only have a dozen or so trees, so the full range of possibilities isn't showing.

Probably my Sams and Lamberts are being pollinated by some of these seedling cherries. Would that matter to you, Bernie? However, perhaps if you live in zone 3, any sweet cherry would be welcome, even though small. Is that so?

Diane Whitehead Victoria BC Canada