nafex - [NAFEX] germinating stone fruit pits

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] germinating stone fruit pits
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:38:24 -0600

Hi all,

Just to add my 2 cents, I'll share my method. Once the stone fruit seed is removed from the fruit, I wash and air dry. I then store in the refridgerator dry, with the shell on, until I am ready to have them germinate. I take the pits out of the refridgerator, add some moist peat moss, and place back in the refridgerator, in packages of 25. Usually, in 2 or 3 weeks, I have germination; although not all germinate at once and some seeds do not germinate for 5-6 weeks. After this time, I remove all the shells, as sometimes this helps with germination. I check every weekend for germination and for penicillin mold. Ones that have the mold, I clean and put in a separate package so as to not infect the others, which is another reason why I don't have 1 package of 200 seeds.

I have successfully germinated about 33%-50% of moldy seeds that others would have thrown away. Even though this method is far from perfect, there is a lot less contamination than if I had the pits in moist peat most for 3 months or more.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3
www.overthehillorchards.ca