nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pachu pachu

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: kbradley@edibleforestnursery.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pachu pachu
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 11:29:09 -0500

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:50:34 +0000, you wrote:

>I came across some yellow cherry size fruits for sale by a street vendor in
>Lima Peru that I was told are sweet like cherries and are good for the eyes
>and diabetis. However I can't find any info on this fruit. Anyone heard of
>it or have ideas on how I can find out more about it? (I had meant to buy
>some but wasn't able to at the time) I couldn't find it in Fruit Nut and
>Berrry Inv. under that name.

I wonder if it could be _Physalis peruviana_?

-------------
The goldenberry 1 (Physalis peruviana) has long been a
minor fruit of the Andes and is found in markets from
Venezuela to Chile. It has also been grown in Hawaii,
California, South Africa, East Africa, India, New Zealand,
Australia, and Great Britain. So far, however, it has
nowhere become a major crop. Nonetheless, this interesting
and unusual botanical relative of potatoes and tomatoes has
commercial promise for many regions. 2

Goldenberry fruits are succulent golden spheres the size of
marbles with a pleasing taste. They are protected by papery
husks resembling Chinese lanterns. The attractive and
symmetrical husk with its edible yellow fruit inside gives
it an eye-catching appearance and potential market appeal.

http://books.nap.edu/books/030904264X/html/241.html#pagetop

--------------

In any event, you might to look through the book from which
the above quotation came - 'Lost Crops of the Incas'. The
entire text is available online, but the format makes it
slow-going. (You can't download the entire book then read
it: you need to open it page by page.)

http://www.nap.edu/openbook/030904264X/html/index.html

>Also, I was told that Mango plum is delicioius, anyone heard of this fruit?
>(Ripens in Peru around February I believe).
>Its no big deal, just curious.

The first possibility that comes to my mind is pepino dulce
(_Solanum muricatum_), but I believe there are several
fruits described in 'Lost Crops of the Incas' that might be
called that.

Pat

--
NOW OPEN! ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful