nafex - [NAFEX] Honeyberry

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeyberry
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:51:44 -0500

Hi,

I'm in SE PA, zone 6. I've had 'Honeyberry' for 5 years now. I originally
had 3 plants. Two were numbered selections (I think they were #7 and #12)
from a nursery (the name is escaping me, but the original owner is a Nafex
member and a list participant, and his daughter now runs the nursery). I
also got non-named species bush from ForestFarm. I planted them very close
together (2 ft apart) to aid pollination. Well one of the numbered
selections (I lost track which one was which), was in its first year mowed
off and then sprayed w/ roundup (neither by me) and expired. Originally the
species and the remaining numbered variety did not seem to bloom at the same
time so I didn't get many berries for the first few years, but they seem to
have gotten more into cycle w/ each other.

It is bar none, the earliest bearing of any of the fruit I have. I hope that
the new ones being developed keep this trait as it is something that makes it
useful/interesting.

Bloom is light yellow, pretty insignificant.

The berries are oblong - unusual looking. Pretty blue color. Consistency is
much like a blueberry, maybe somewhat softer. The species bush in flavor is
just plain awful (it would be the more vigorous and productive of the two of
course). The other numbered variety is ok, not too much to write home about.
For the prices I've seen in some catalogs, the bushes are way overpriced.
Paying for novelty I guess.

For me, it's interesting in being early. Not good enough or productive
enough to usully bother harvesting. I look to the new varieties being
developed and hope they come up w/ something interesting.

I haven't had significant problems w/ disease.

One note: I planted my right next to my driveway. My theory at the time was
to pile snow on them to help keep them from blooming too early (i.e. keep
them dormant). I also planted apricots near my driveway for the same reason.
In my zone 6 area, I don't think this is a useful technique as I don't
always have remaining snow cover as spring develops.

I'd plant the following first (I don't know what you already have and what's
hardy in your area):
Blueberry
Raspberries (all kinds)
Ribes family (gooseberries and currants)

--
Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6