nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Zone 3 Elderberry

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Zone 3 Elderberry
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:40:30 -0600

Happy New Year to you all.

About 15 years ago I purchased plants of Adams, Johns, York and Nova of
the S. canadensis cultivars and planted them on a friend's farm in
Wisconsin (in USDA Zone 4a or 3b). They produced so well in that
location that my friends dug up and transplanted suckers of the plants
when they purchased a larger farm. I have no experience, however, with
the European elder.

For those interested in elderberries, Paul Evans Library of Fruit
Science at Southwest Missouri State University has an excellent page
listing Elderberry Resources and Bibliography, with some documents in
Adobe Acrobat ready for downloading. See
http://wwwlibrary.smsu.edu/paulevans/Fruit/elderberry.shtml. -- Sam
Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)