nafex - [NAFEX] Planting in frozen ground

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Planting in frozen ground
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:28:17 -0600

To Dianne Stephany from zone 5 who received some plants and can't plant
them because her ground is frozen: If I had the problem, I'd buy a bag of
potting soil and find a cardboard box big enough to accommodate the plant
roots. If the box is bigger than needed, lay it on its side, dump in a
generous supply of potting soil; put the plant roots on top of it and add
more potting soil until the roots are covered. Then thoroughly soak the
potting soil + roots and set outside to freeze. Once frozen, cover with
snow. If you don't have snow yet, cover it up when you get (sufficient)
snow. Problem solved?

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

  • [NAFEX] Planting in frozen ground, Jim Fruth, 12/16/2004