nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: Hardwood Ashes

  • From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucedhansen@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: Hardwood Ashes
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:20:18 -0500

I think it is a carbonate (from old memory storage) since a sulfate would create h2so3 in the soil? The 'potash' thing is interesting. I had not perceived that. Potassium is of great value to plants and we humans (nerve firing, perhaps). The word potash seems like Old English. If so it is pretty ancient implying that the 'old folk' new a thing or two before the folk down the street at the fertilizer store found out. When bashing the ancients, walk carefully and carry a humble stick. And, isn't it true that scads of fertilizer around any plant will not just fruit trees will kill the bloody thing?