nafex - Re: [NAFEX] G30 apple rootstock

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] G30 apple rootstock
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:45:13 -0500

On Nov 30, 2004, at 2:49 PM, Terry B wrote:

At 10:46 AM 11/29/04 -0500, you wrote:
<<Oh - and how much support does that G30 need? Will a single metal
stake be good enough?>>

G30 really needs as good a stake as you can give it. Preferably a stake tied to a wire, or even a trellis. If you're just using one stake, make it a steel t-post, pounded (not dug) at least 2 if not 3 feet in the ground with 6-8 feet above ground (10 foot post).

This is a really good rootstock in terms of precociousness, yield, winter hardiness, and low incidence of root suckering and burr knotting. It just needs a little support, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you plan for it. After all, some plants (grape, kiwi) we trellis as a matter of course.

Thanks. My grape vine probably doesn't have enough support, either. A trellis is more than I'm willing to put up for one tree, but I will buy a 10' stake and pound it into my rocky ground.

I know that the experience from one copy of a plant doesn't prove anything, but I am looking forward to comparing the rootstocks and cultivars. Fruit exploring in my own backyard.

Cheers,
Ginda