nafex - [NAFEX] G30 apple rootstock

  • From: "" <tblists@pshift.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] G30 apple rootstock
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:49:08 -0500

At 10:46 AM 11/29/04 -0500, you wrote:
<<I'm afraid to graft the Karmijn directly to the G30, since G30 is
probably sensitive to random viruses, and who knows what's up with the
multi-grafted tree. >>

So far as I know, it's only G16 that you have to worry about viruses with,
and the tree will generally die in the nursery year one...no waiting to see
if you got the bug!

<<Oh - and how much support does that G30 need? Will a single metal
stake be good enough?>>

G30 really needs as good a stake as you can give it. Preferably a stake tied
to a wire, or even a trellis. If you're just using one stake, make it a
steel t-post, pounded (not dug) at least 2 if not 3 feet in the ground with
6-8 feet above ground (10 foot post).

This is a really good rootstock in terms of precociousness, yield, winter
hardiness, and low incidence of root suckering and burr knotting. It just
needs a little support, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you plan for
it. After all, some plants (grape, kiwi) we trellis as a matter of course.

Terry B
Calais, VT
zone 4
tblists@pshift.com